.

.
Click above for what became the consented plan, plus Transport page.

2013-07-28

The Observer: "Admit it, [Brent Cross Shopping Centre shopper]. You love cheap clothes. And you don't care about child slave labour"


Link to web site

"... Here is the shopper, agonising over ethical or cheap. What if they can do both? What if they can pluck two pairs of jeans off the rail and hold them up.
One costs
£20.00
One costs
£20.15 
It has a big label on it:
"I'm proud to pay 15p more for these jeans. I believe everyone has the right to a decent standard of living. My jeans were made by a happy worker who was paid the fair rate for the job."
"Go further. Stitch it on to the jeans themselves. I want those jeans.

"I want to know I'm not wearing something stitched by kids kept locked in backstreet godowns, never seeing the light of day, never getting a penny. I want to feel clean. And I want the big brands and the supermarkets to help me feel clean.

"I want people to say to them:
"You deceived us. You told us you were ethical. We want you to change. We want you to police your supply chain as if you care. Name your suppliers. Open them to independent inspection.

We want to trust you again, we really do, because we love your products. Know what? We don't mind paying a few pennies more if you promise to chip in too."
"And here's the best part: I think they would sell more. I think consumers would be happier and workers would be happier. And if I can spend less time trawling through fetid backstreets looking for the truth, I'll be happier."

No comments:

Post a Comment